Monday, November 17, 2008

The Trials and Tribulations of Naptime and Bedtime

Okay...it's no secret that I have a total night owl. My almost three year old will run from 9:00 am until 12:00 am every night if allowed to. I'm a night owl also, so I have to admit I'm kind of a pushover when it comes to bed time. I'm a stickler for most routines...but bed time is one routine that I'm not good with. It wasn't such a big deal before I started working out of the home, but now it is. I can easily stay up with my son and will continue to stay up until about 2 or 3 a.m.

This has become a bad, bad habit because now this mommy cannot get out of bed before 10 a.m. I have clients that expect me to be up and on their time by 9:00 a.m! I also take my children to daycare two days a week; what a joke! They don't get there before 10:30 a.m. these days!

The thing that really gets me, is that my son takes naps at daycare. How does daycare pull that off? (Did I mention that I used to be a teacher in a children's center for three year olds? What happened to me?) Let me tell you the last two times my child took a nap for/with me:

1.) This past summer when I was on bedrest and could nap with him. Not an option these days. I don't think my clients would appreciate me taking a break to nap.

2.) If I put him in time-out in his room. Let me tell you, it is very tempting to know that if you put your child in time out in his bedroom he will nap for a good two hours. But there is more than one problem with this scenario:
a.) He has to do something that actually warrants a time-out:)
b.) The early childhood educator in me tells me that there is something wrong with this that actually may cause some damage in his little psyche and I'll end up in therapy with him 15 years from now.

So I have decided that this obviously is my problem, not his. Because I started this blog around 7 p.m., gave my son and daughter a bath, read my son a book and guess what? He was asleep by 9:45 p.m. Now the problem is getting my son to stay asleep. He wakes up every 2 hours crying...what do I do about this?

1 comment:

craftylilmomma - Jen said...

My boys are the same way. We can easily can stay up til between 12 and 2 am every night...including the nights before my 4 yr old has school! He goes to preschool Mon, Wed, Fri...he gets there on time too...it doesn't seem to faze him at all. Of course we sleep in late the other 2 days so maybe that makes up for it.